Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup
Pumpkins are for more than making jack-o-lanterns! They become sweet and tender when cooked, similar to autumn squash.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cloves
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 2 lbs. fresh sugar pumpkin, peeled and seeded, cut in chunks
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Press the cloves into the whole onion.
- Arrange the pumpkin and onion in the slow cooker; sprinkle with the ginger. Add the stock, salt, and spices.
- Cover and heat on a low setting for 4 hours.
- Half an hour before serving, remove the onion with cloves and discard. Using a blender, food processor, or immersion blender, puree or mash the pumpkin with the cream.
- Serve the soup topped with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds.