Slow Cooker Red Pepper Beef with Beans
Serve this as a main dish along with a tossed salad and corn bread or as a side dish at your next cookout.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 10 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. dried Great Northern beans, soaked overnight in water to cover and drained
- 6 cups cold water
- ½ lb. bacon, diced
- 1 lb. beef chuck, trimmed and diced
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1½ Tbsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Add beans and water to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Sauté bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add beef to the skillet along with the crushed red pepper and onion; sauté for 15 minutes or until the onion is just beginning to brown. Stir in the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Stir the sautéed mixture into the beans and water in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Stir in the tomato paste, chili powder, salt, pepper, and cumin. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours or until the beans are cooked through. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.