Slow Cooker Roasted Red Pepper and Corn Soup
Make this flavorful southwestern-style soup in a slow cooker. Roast red bell peppers for this recipe or use a 12-ounce jar of roasted red peppers, discard the liquid.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 7 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 6 large red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and chopped
- ½ medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro
- Set oven to broil. Arrange rack so that it is 6" below heating element. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the bell peppers on a baking sheet, skin side up, and broil for 15 minutes, or until black spots appear. Turn peppers about hallway through. Remove from oven and pull up the edges of the foil to enclose the broiled peppers and hold in the heat. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Under cold running water, peel off the skin. Chop. Place peppers and all remaining ingredients, except cilantro, in a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove bay leaves. Purée using an immersion blender or traditional blender.
- Serve with a sprig of cilantro in each bowl.