Slow Cooker Roasted Vegetable Stock
Use this in vegetarian recipes as a substitute for chicken stock or in other recipes as a flavorful alternative to water.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 3 large parsnips, peeled
- 3 large onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 whole turnips
- 3 medium rutabagas, quartered
- 3 medium bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 medium shallots
- 1 whole head garlic
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 bunch parsley
- 3½ quarts water
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Arrange the vegetables and herbs on a 9" × 13" baking pan lined with parchment paper. Roast for 30 minutes or until browned.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large slow cooker. Add water and cover. Cook on low for 8–10 hours. Strain the stock, discarding the solids. Freeze or refrigerate the stock until ready to use.