Slow Cooker Sausage Tamales
For a more authentic feel, you can use shredded beef or pork to substitute for the sausage in this recipe.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 4 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 20 dried corn husks, soaked in warm water until soft
- 1 lb. spicy pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Simmer the sausage with the cumin in 2 1⁄2 cups water until cooked. Drain sausage, reserving 1 1⁄2 cups of the liquid. After the liquid cools, use a large spoon to skim off any solidified fat; discard the fat.
- Cut the shortening into the cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the set-aside sausage broth and mix well into the cornmeal mixture.
- Lay out the husks on a flat surface. On the smooth side of each husk, spread about 1 1⁄2 tablespoons of the cornmeal dough. Top with about 3⁄4 tablespoon of meat. Fold the dough around the meat. Roll the husk around the dough. Arrange the bundles on a trivet or rack in the slow cooker. Pour 1 cup water around the base.
- Cover and heat on a high setting for 4 hours.