Slow Cooker Shrimp in Creole Sauce
Serve Shrimp in Creole Sauce over cooked white or brown long-grain rice.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 9 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 2 cans (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. light brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 lbs. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Add 2 tablespoons oil, onion, celery, and red bell pepper to the slow cooker. Stir to coat the vegetables in oil. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes, or until the onion is transparent.
- Add the remaining tablespoon oil and the butter to a skillet over medium heat. When the butter is melted into the oil, stir in the flour. Stirring constantly, cook for 5 minutes or until the flour mixture turns a light golden brown.
- Stir the browned flour mixture and the tomato paste into the slow cooker. Reduce the heat setting to low and add the tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, dried red pepper flakes, brown sugar, and broth. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Increase the heat setting to high. Stir in the shrimp, cover, and cook for 15 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and cooked through. Add salt and pepper and serve immediately.