Slow-Cooker Spanish Tortilla
Traditionally served as tapas or an appetizer in Spanish restaurants and bars, this version of the Spanish tortilla makes a healthy breakfast casserole. Conventionally it does not contain cheese, but feel free to sprinkle some on top in the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 small yellow onions, finely diced
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 10 large eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a skillet over medium heat, slowly cook the onions in the olive oil until lightly brown and caramelized, about 5–6 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Layer half of the potatoes and fried onions in a greased 4-quart slow cooker. Pour half the eggs over the layers. Repeat the layers, ending with the last of the whisked eggs.
- Cover and cook on low for 6–7 hours or on high for 3½–4 hours. Invert out of slow cooker. Cut into wedges and serve.