Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Croutons
Immersion blenders are hand-held blenders that can be used in the pot where food is cooked, which eliminates the need to transfer soup to a blender.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups dried green split peas, soaked overnight in water to cover
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups bread cubes
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, add all ingredients and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours.
- While the soup cooks, make the croutons. Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Toss bread with the oil and cook until the bread begins to brown. Transfer the bread to a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until crispy.
- When the soup has finished cooking remove the bay leaf. Process in a blender, or use an immersion blender, until smooth.
- Serve soup with fresh croutons.