Slow Cooker Stuffing
The key to a really good gluten-free stuffing is to find or make a gluten-free bread that is very dry and somewhat dense.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 cups toasted, cubed, and very dry gluten-free bread
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 lb. gluten-free mild pork sausage
- 2½ cups gluten-free chicken broth
- Place bread cubes in a very large bowl and set aside. Melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When warm and sizzling, add onion and celery. Sauté until onion is translucent, about 3–5 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Pour onion and butter mixture over bread cubes in bowl.
- Add sausage to the sauté pan, breaking it up into small pieces. Brown sausage until completely cooked through. Pour sausage into stuffing mixture in bowl. Stir together thoroughly.
- Pour stuffing into a greased 4–6-quart slow cooker. Slowly add chicken broth. If you prefer a moister dressing, add additional chicken broth until desired consistency is reached.
- Cook stuffing on low for 8 hours. During the last hour and a half of cooking vent the lid of the slow cooker with a chopstick to let excess moisture escape.