Slow-Cooker Swedish Meatballs with Gravy
No one will ever guess these uniquely spiced meatballs simmering in a savory gravy are gluten-free. To make them dairy-free, simply substitute almond milk for the milk and coconut oil for the butter.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 8 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 slice gluten-free bread
- 4 Tbsp. whole milk, divided
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp. brown rice flour
- 1 cup gluten-free beef broth
- In a small bowl, crumble up the bread and add 2 tablespoons milk to soften it. Set aside. In a small skillet over medium-high heat, soften the onions in 1 tablespoon of butter for about 3–5 minutes until softened and translucent.
- In a large bowl, mix together the softened bread, onions cooked in butter, ground beef, egg, pepper, allspice, and nutmeg. Mix together thoroughly and roll tablespoons of the meat mixture into small meatballs.
- Brown meatballs over medium-high heat (in small batches) in a nonstick skillet and then transfer them to a greased 4-quart slow cooker.
- In the same skillet used to brown the meatballs, whisk the remaining tablespoon of butter and the brown rice flour over medium-high heat. Whisk for 1–2 minutes to toast the flour. Slowly pour in the beef broth, whisking constantly. Cook for 3–5 additional minutes until you have a thickened gravy. Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Pour the gravy over the meatballs in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3–4 hours or on low for 6–8 hours.