Slow Cooker Sweet-Hot Chili
This is a chili of dueling flavors, sweet and spicy. The longer you cook it, the richer the flavor becomes.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. ground chuck
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 cans (15 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 oz.) lower sodium beef broth
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp. hot sauce
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Add the ground chuck, pork, onion, garlic, cumin seeds, chili powder, and oregano to a nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat until the beef and pork are browned and cooked through. Drain off any excess fat and discard. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the tomatoes, ketchup, cinnamon, cloves, brown sugar, kidney beans, beef broth, and Worcestershire sauce. Add enough water, if needed, to bring the liquid level to the top of the beans and meat. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add hot sauce, salt, and pepper before serving.