Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup
This easy tomato soup goes great with a grilled cheese sandwich.
Serves: 5Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄2 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄3 cup sliced fresh basil, divided
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter, then sauté the onion and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, add the onion and garlic, tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- Allow to cool slightly, then remove the bay leaf. Process the soup in a blender or immersion blender.
- Return the soup to the slow cooker, then add the evaporated milk and 1⁄4 cup basil. Heat on low for an additional 30 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with remaining basil, olive oil, and black pepper.