Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
This healthy, kid-friendly soup is made with canned tomatoes, which are available year-round at affordable prices. You can also make this soup with about 4 pounds of chopped fresh tomatoes if you prefer.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 small sweet onion, peeled and finely diced
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 cans (14½ oz.) low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 can (15 oz.) chicken broth
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- In a small glass or microwave-safe bowl, cook onion and butter in the microwave on high for 1 minute to soften them.
- Add onion and butter to a greased 6- to 7-quart slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, honey, and chicken broth. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Turn off slow cooker and add salt to the soup. Allow soup to cool for about 20 minutes and then blend using an immersion blender or by pouring the soup (a little at a time) into a kitchen blender.
- Serve each bowl topped with a pinch of black pepper.