Slow Cooker Tuscan Tomato Soup
This soup is so fresh and delightful, you will want to serve it year-round.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup sour cream or crème fraiche
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, stems removed
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the cornstarch and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk and continue to cook for 3–5 minutes until mixture has thickened.
- Process the tomatoes in a blender until smooth. Stir into the hot roux mixture.
- Pour the tomato mixture into a 4-quart slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours. In the last 30 minutes of cooking stir in cream, salt, and pepper. Swirl a tablespoon of sour cream or crème fraiche into each serving and garnish with fresh basil.