Slow Cooker Vegan Creamy Chickpea Soup
Almost any bean can be puréed to make a creamy soup without the cream, but chickpeas work especially well.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 4 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cans (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- Juice of 1⁄2 medium lemon
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, add the onion, garlic, chickpeas, broth, cumin, and salt. Cover and cook over low heat for 4 hours.
- Allow to cool slightly, then process the soup in a blender or using an immersion blender. Return the soup to the slow cooker and add the lemon juice and olive oil. Heat on low for an additional 30 minutes. Garnish with cilantro leaves and freshly ground black pepper.