Slow Cooker Vegan Mole
Mole is a traditional Mexican sauce. This vegan version is made in a slow cooker with chiles, spices, seeds, and chocolate. Serve with cooked vegetables, tofu, and rice.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ medium onion, peeled and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo, seeded and minced
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 oz. vegan dark chocolate, chopped
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add onion and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, cinnamon, and coriander, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Transfer the sautéed mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker. Add the chili powder, chipotle chilies, sesame seeds, and salt, then stir in the vegetable broth. Add the chocolate. Cover and cook over low for 2 hours.
- Using an immersion blender, purée sauce. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.