Slow Cooker Vegan Mushroom Barley Soup
Use button mushrooms for this robust, earthy soup. Serve with bread sticks or crusty bread.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ tsp. vegan butter
- 16 oz. fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ⅔ cup medium pearl barley
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Sauté the onion for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until browned on the edges and juicy, about 5 minutes.
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, add all of the mushrooms, onions, garlic, barley, pepper, salt, and the broth. Stir, cover, and cook 8 hours on low.