Slow Cooker Vegan Sloppy Joes
Slow cooked chickpeas make a hearty, flavorful filling for this vegan-friendly update on a childhood classic.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 6 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cans (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 small sweet onion, peeled and minced
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 oz. tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. chili powder
- 3⁄4 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 4 Tbsp. maple syrup, divided
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 small purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 Tbsp. liquid coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 6 sandwich rolls
- In a 3- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix together chickpeas, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons maple syrup, and water.
- Cover and cook on low 6 hours.
- Toss cabbage with coconut oil, vinegar, 1 tablespoon maple syrup and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt.
- Serve chickpea mixture on rolls, topped with cabbage mixture, cilantro, and scallions.