Slow Cooker Vegetable Stock
This is a great recipe for using up leftover vegetables and peelings. Vegetable stock is a healthy ingredient to keep in the fridge to make quick soups or to cook gluten-free starches such as rice and potatoes.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 medium stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 medium red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Place carrots, onion, garlic, celery, and potatoes in a 4–6-quart slow cooker. Pour water over the vegetables and add salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Allow broth to cool slightly and then strain out and discard vegetables. Pour stock into clean glass jars and refrigerate for up to 1 week.