Slow Cooker Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
This hearty soup with southwestern flavors is delicious with cornbread or tortilla chips.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 6 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium red tomato, diced
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and chopped; divided
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cans (15 oz.) black beans with liquid
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaves
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, then sauté the bell pepper, tomato, half the chopped onion, and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, add the sautéed vegetables, black beans, cumin, chipotle powder, salt, and vegetable broth. Cover, and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Let the soup cool slightly, then pour half into a blender. Process until smooth, then pour back into the pot.
- Serve, garnishing with the remaining chopped onion and cilantro leaves.