Slow Cooker Vegetarian French Onion Soup
Vidalia onions are a sweet variety of onion that work particularly well with this soup.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 4 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 large Vidalia onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 slices French bread
- 4 oz. Swiss cheese, grated
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and cook the onions, stirring often, until soft and transparent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Into a 6-quart slow cooker, add the sautéed vegetables, thyme, red wine, broth, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- Once the soup has cooked, preheat the oven to the broiler setting. Ladle soup place 4 broiler-safe bowls onto a baking sheet. Ladle soup into bowls. Nestle a slice of French bread onto each bowl and sprinkle with the cheese. Place the soup under the broiler until the cheese has melted and begins to brown, about 1 minute, watching it carefully to prevent burning.