Slow Cooker Vinegar-Braised Red Cabbage
This is a tart dish. Adding additional jelly or serving the cabbage with some additional butter melted on top can cut the tartness. Be sure to refrigerate any leftovers; the cabbage tastes better the next day and can be reheated and served warm or used cold as a pickle-replacement condiment on a sandwich.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 6 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium head red cabbage
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1 Tbsp. red currant jelly
- Remove and discard the tough outer leaves of the cabbage. Cut the cabbage in half and remove the core; finely slice or shred the cabbage.
- Add the shredded cabbage, butter, sugar, salt, water, vinegar, and apple to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until the cabbage is cooked through.