Slow Cooker Wassail
To make a nonalcoholic version of this recipe, substitute additional apple cider for the sherry and ale.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 cups apple cider
- 2 cups lemonade
- 6 cups orange juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups semisweet sherry
- 2 bottles (12 oz. each) ale
- 4 cinnamon sticks, plus extra for serving
- 1 orange
- 1 tsp. whole cloves
- 1 lemon
- 12 whole allspice berries
- 1 Tbsp. chopped candied ginger
- 1 Tbsp. aromatic bitters
- Add the apple juice, cranberry juice or lemonade, orange juice, brown sugar, water, sherry, ale, and cinnamon sticks to a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Stud the orange with the whole cloves, cut the orange and lemon into quarters and remove any seeds, and add to the slow cooker.
- Add the allspice berries and candied ginger to a muslin spice bag or a piece of cheesecloth that has been rinsed and wrung dry; secure with a piece of kitchen twine and add to the juices in the cooker. Stir in the bitters.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Remove cinnamon sticks, spice bag, and orange and lemon wedges before serving. Serve individual portions with cinnamon stick and a sprinkle of cinnamon top.