Smashed Cucumber Salad
A little sweet and a little spicy, this Asian-inspired smashed cucumber salad is the perfect side for your next picnic.
Serves: 6Prep: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 English cucumbers, ends trimmed
- 3 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- On cutting board, place cucumber; cover with plastic wrap. Use rolling pin or meat mallet to smash until slightly flattened.
- Cut cucumbers into 1-1½” pieces. Place in colander over sink; toss with 1 teaspoon sugar and salt. Allow to stand at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, pepper flakes and remaining 2 teaspoons sugar until sugar dissolves.
- Toss drained cucumbers with dressing before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.