Smoked Mussels in Cream Sauce with Pasta
Serve with fresh fruit and steamed broccoli for a festive, healthy meal.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄3 cups uncooked tagliatelle pasta
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 large shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 oz. smoked mussels, drained
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Boil the pasta in 2 quarts water and 1 teaspoon olive oil until tender but not mushy. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a deep nonstick skillet. Add the garlic and shallots, and sauté just until transparent. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half.
- In a blender or food processor, purée the cottage cheese. Add it to the wine-mushroom mixture and bring to serving temperature over low heat. Make sure the mixture does not boil. If the mixture seems too thin, sprinkle flour over the mixture, stir until blended, and cook until thickened.
- Add the mussels to the cottage cheese mixture just prior to serving. Stir well to bring the mussels to serving temperature. Toss the pasta with the mussels and parsley.