Smooth Cauliflower Soup with Coriander
This no-cream “cream soup” is equally delicious hot or chilled.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. white wine
- 2 lbs. cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk, divided
- In a large saucepan or soup pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and cauliflower and cook for 1 minute to steam out the alcohol. Add stock, salt, pepper, and coriander and bring to a rolling boil.
- Simmer until cauliflower is very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender. Add 1⁄2 cup milk and purée until very smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender vase with a rubber spatula. Be careful during this step, since hot liquids will splash out of the blender if it is not started gradually (you may wish to purée in 2 batches for safety).
- Transfer soup back to saucepan, stir in remaining milk, and reheat over medium-low heat for 2 minutes.