Smooth Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup
Sweet potatoes and ginger are a satisfying combination in this creamy soup.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 5 cups chicken broth, divided
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground white pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil. Add the onion, celery, and carrot; sauté for 5–7 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and ginger, and sauté for an additional 30 seconds. Pour 3 cups of the chicken broth into the pan along with the diced sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through. Periodically check the simmering pot to make sure it doesn’t boil dry.
- Stir in the remaining 2 cups broth, cream, salt, and pepper into the soup.
- Let soup cool slightly and then puree with an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor. Serve hot.