Soft and Buttery Pretzels
Making this popular mall snack at home is easier than you’d think.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄8 tsp. active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbsp. coarse salt
- 4 Tbsp. melted butter
- Combine 1 1⁄2 cups warm water and yeast in a large bowl. Add the brown sugar and salt. Stir to dissolve. Add the flours and knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Let the dough rise at least 30 minutes.
- While dough is rising, prepare a baking soda water bath with baking soda and 2 cups water.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope (about 1⁄2 inch thick) and form into a classic pretzel shape. Dip each pretzel in the soda solution and place on greased baking sheet. Allow the pretzels to rise again for 1 hour. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake pretzels for about 10 minutes, or until golden. Brush with melted butter and serve.