Soft Chicken Tacos with Charred Scallions
Charring scallions brings out their natural sweetness, while also adding a subtle smoky flavor, which makes them perfect for a taco dinner. Serve with your favorite salsa.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 4 scallions, white and green parts divided, white parts halved lengthwise
- 2 cups baby lettuce
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ¾ cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup diced yellow or red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp. roughly chopped cilantro
- 8 flour tortillas (6")
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken tenders and season with chili powder, cumin, pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook for 4 minutes, flip, and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Heat a grill over medium-high heat. Toss scallion whites and greens in a medium bowl with remaining olive oil and salt. Grill for 6-8 minutes until lightly blackened. Reserve.
- Divide chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, and cilantro between tortillas. Top with charred scallions.