Soft and Crusty No-Rise Bread
Low-sodium dieters despair no more! This quick and easy recipe yields a fabulous loaf of bread, dinner, or sandwich rolls in 30 minutes or less. Brushing the bread with beaten egg before baking gives it a gloriously glossy, golden crust.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. dry active yeast
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. all-purpose salt-free seasoning
- 1¼ cups warm water
- 1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 beaten egg, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a baking sheet lightly with oil and set aside.
- Place the yeast, olive oil, sugar, and seasoning into a large mixing bowl and add the water. Gradually add in the flours, stirring well to combine.
- Once dough comes together, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, adding up to ¼ cup additional flour as necessary. Knead 5 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape loaf as desired and slash the top with a sharp knife. Place on prepared baking sheet and brush lightly with beaten egg. Place pan on middle rack in oven and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately, or transfer to a wire rack to cool.