Soft Whole-Wheat Sandwich Bread
This is a basic loaf of bread that can be used for sandwiches or toast or used to make stuffing and croutons.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 packet (¼ oz.) yeast
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⅓ cups warm water
- 3 Tbsp. soft butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups whole-wheat flour
- Combine yeast, ½ teaspoon sugar, and ⅓ cup water in a bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine remaining water, butter, remaining sugar, salt, and baking powder. Mix in the all-purpose flour, followed by the yeast mixture, with an electric mixer. Add the whole-wheat flour and knead with dough hook for 10 minutes.
- Turn dough into an oiled bowl. Cover and set in a warm place. Let rise for 2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough, then shape into a cylinder and place in an oiled loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 90 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover and bake for 40 minutes.