Soupe de Fanes de Radis ou de Carottes (Radish and Carrot Leaves Soup)
Part of the art of the good French home cook is to be able to use all the leftovers, and never waste anything. This soup of radish or carrot leaves is a good example.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 bunches radish or carrot leaves, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. crème fraîche or crema Mexicana
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the leaves, stir well, reduce the heat, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the potatoes, cook for another 5 minutes, and then pour in the chicken stock and the water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, add salt and pepper, then reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, take out the leaves, onions, and potatoes, and put them in a blender with 1 cup of stock. Process well until smooth.
- Put the purée back in the saucepan with the stock, stir well, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with a tablespoon of cream in each bowl.