Soupe de Potiron au Cumin (Pumpkin Soup with Cumin)
Save to My Recipes
Halloween is not a traditional holiday in France, but the French sure do know their pumpkins all right! This savory pumpkin soup with a cumin twist is a good example.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutes
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs. pumpkin, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large saucepan, cook the diced onion in olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir with a spoon until the onion is translucent, about 3–5 minutes. Add the pumpkin, stir well, then add salt, pepper, and cumin. Pour in the water and the chicken stock, and bring to a boil over high heat. When reaching the boiling point, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, take the vegetables out and put them in a blender. Add one cup of the cooking liquid to the blender, process until smooth, and pour back in the saucepan.
- Stir well, simmer for another 10 minutes, and serve with cilantro leaves in each plate.