Soupe de Potiron au Cumin (Pumpkin Soup with Cumin)
Halloween is not a traditional holiday in France, but the French sure do know their pumpkins all right! This savory pumpkin soup with a cumin twist is a good example.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs. pumpkin, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large saucepan, cook the diced onion in olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir with a spoon until the onion is translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the pumpkin, stir well, then add salt, pepper, and cumin. Pour in the water and the chicken stock, and bring to a boil over high heat. When reaching the boiling point, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, take the vegetables out and put them in a blender. Add one cup of the cooking liquid to the blender, process until smooth, and pour back in the saucepan.
- Stir well, simmer for another 10 minutes, and serve with cilantro leaves in each plate.