Soupe Glacée de Petits Pois à la Coriandre (Chilled Pea Soup with Cilantro)
This ice-cold soup is perfect for hot summer days spent lounging in the garden.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. fresh peas
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 dozen spring onions, diced
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, minced, and 4 cilantro leaves
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- Put 4 tablespoons of fresh peas in a bowl and reserve. If you’re using frozen peas, place them with 4 tablespoons in a bowl of warm water to thaw slowly.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and cook the onions over medium heat, stirring well for about 5 minutes. Add the peas, stir well, and then add the shredded lettuce. Let everything cook and reduce for another 5 minutes.
- Put the minced cilantro in a medium saucepan with the chicken stock and the water. Add salt and pepper. Stir well, and bring to a boil over high heat. When it begins to boil, reduce to a low heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a medium saucepan with water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Prepare a medium bowl of ice cubes. Pour the fresh peas you reserved earlier into the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. The peas should stay crunchy and al dente. Remove them and put them on the bed of ice.
- Pour the onion mixture and peas in a blender, and process well for around 5 minutes. Pour the mixture in a serving bowl, add the al dente peas, and put in the refrigerator for 2 hours.