Soupe à la Tomate (Tomato Soup)
Save to My Recipes
This is a very simple French tomato soup, with rice to thicken it.
Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. chopped basil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp. rice
- In a large saucepan, cook the diced onion and the diced carrots in olive oil over medium-low heat, stirring well for about 5 minutes. Add flour and stir again with a wooden spatula. Pour in the diced tomatoes (with the juice from the can), and stir again.
- Add the water, salt, pepper, sugar, and basil. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a smaller pan, bring the chicken stock to a boil, add the rice, and cook for 20 minutes.
- When the tomatoes are cooked, put them in a blender, process well, then put back in the saucepan. Add the chicken stock and the rice to the larger saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir well.
- Serve immediately.