Sour Cream Butter Cake
The cake is rich and moist, so serve it in very thin slices.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 egg yolks
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1½ tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6 oz. unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup sliced blanched almonds
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" cake pan, dust it with flour, and line the bottom with waxed paper. In a bowl, whisk together the yolks, ¼ of the sour cream, and the vanilla. In a large, separate bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add the butter and remaining sour cream to the flour mixture, and mix well until flour is completely moistened. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture in 3 separate additions, mixing between each addition. Pour into prepared cake pan. Sprinkle almonds on top.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, usually about 35 to 40 minutes. Start checking at 25 minutes, since oven temperatures and ingredient characteristics vary, and it might be done quicker. Cool 10 minutes, then take out of pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To frost, cut laterally in half and frost both sections, then stack smooth sides, and refrigerate to set.