Sour Cream Doughnuts
These dense, muffin-like doughnuts are hearty with a fun shape for dipping into a favorite warm drink. If you don’t have a doughnut maker, you can easily turn these into waffles using a waffle iron.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3⁄4 tsp. nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup coconut sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- Heat the doughnut maker.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and 1⁄2 cup coconut sugar together well.
- Add in the oil, eggs, sour cream, and milk and mix until smooth. Pour into doughnut maker and bake according to doughnut maker’s instructions.
- Place remaining coconut sugar in a high-powered blender or food processor and pulse on high until sugar becomes a fine powder.
- Mix coconut sugar with cinnamon in a shallow bowl.
- Dip warm doughnuts in melted butter, then in the powdered coconut sugar mixture. These are best served warm.