Sour Cream Doughnuts
These dense, muffin-like doughnuts are hearty with a fun shape for dipping into a favorite warm drink. If you don’t have a doughnut maker, you can easily turn these into waffles using a waffle iron.
Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 15 minutes
- 2¼ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¾ tsp. nutmeg
- ¾ cup coconut sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ⅛ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Heat the doughnut maker.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and ½ cup coconut sugar together well.
- Add in the oil, eggs, sour cream, and milk and mix until smooth. Pour into doughnut maker and bake according to doughnut maker’s instructions.
- Place remaining coconut sugar in a high-powered blender or food processor and pulse on high until sugar becomes a fine powder.
- Mix coconut sugar with cinnamon in a shallow bowl.
- Dip warm doughnuts in melted butter, then in the powdered coconut sugar mixture. These are best served warm.