Sour Creamed Greens
Most people make creamed greens dishes with a lot of heavy cream. But you can substitute sour cream (even the fat-free variety) to get a similar and healthier dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ lbs. fresh mustard greens, spinach, or chard
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- Rinse the greens well and cut out tough stems if necessary. Tear the leaves into smaller pieces. Place a skillet over medium heat. Add the greens and the chicken broth. Boil for about 10 minutes. They should be bright green. Place the greens in a bowl temporarily.
- Add the butter and oil to the skillet. Once the butter is melted, add the onion and garlic. Cook for about 5–7 minutes or until the onions are soft and starting to brown. Add the greens back into the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 1–2 minutes until warmed through. Slowly stir in the sour cream. Cook for 1 minute. Serve hot.