Sour Creamed Greens
Most people make creamed greens dishes with a lot of heavy cream. But you can substitute sour cream (even the fat-free variety) to get a similar and healthier dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. fresh mustard greens, spinach, or chard
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Rinse the greens well and cut out tough stems if necessary. Tear the leaves into smaller pieces. Place a skillet over medium heat. Add the greens and the chicken broth. Boil for about 10 minutes. They should be bright green. Place the greens in a bowl temporarily.
- Add the butter and oil to the skillet. Once the butter is melted, add the onion and garlic. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes or until the onions are soft and starting to brown. Add the greens back into the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until warmed through. Slowly stir in the sour cream. Cook for 1 minute. Serve hot.