Southern Barbecue Sauce
This long-cooking barbecue sauce makes a large quantity, which is perfect for grilling up lots of chicken or ribs at your next backyard barbecue or family reunion party.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 5 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 1 head garlic, broken into cloves and peeled
- 2 Tbsp. whole cumin seeds
- 3 Tbsp. whole coriander seeds
- 1 Tbsp. whole black peppercorns
- 8 small dried chili peppers
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cans (16 oz.) whole tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 quart distilled white vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ cup salt
- Combine water, honey, molasses, garlic cloves, cumin, coriander, peppercorns, chili peppers, and bay leaves in a large stockpot over low heat. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, onion, and tomato paste and cook for 15 minutes, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon. Stir in vinegar, water, mustard, and salt. Simmer, uncovered, for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, cool, and purée with an immersion blender until only small chunks remain.