Southern Creamed Chicken with Biscuits
This dish is perfect for a party or family get-together. The creamed chicken is great on biscuits, but it’s also wonderful over rice or baked puff pastry shells.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 8 oz. fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tbsp. minced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 1½ cups half-and-half
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5 oz.) each, cooked and diced
- 8 hot buttermilk biscuits (homemade or store-bought)
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms; sauté for about 3 minutes or until tender. Add red bell pepper and green onion and sauté for about 2 minutes. Blend in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth and sherry. Stir in half-and-half. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook for about 1 minute longer. Add chicken and heat through.
- Serve creamed chicken over split biscuits.