Southern Fried Green Tomatoes
Use tomatoes that are very firm. They usually aren’t very large, so count on two per person. Serve with thick slices of country ham or Irish bacon.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup corn flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 large eggs
- 8 large green tomatoes, cores trimmed and cut in ⅓" slices
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Spread the flour mixed with salt and pepper on one sheet of waxed paper and the cornmeal on another. Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl.
- Dip the tomato slices first in the flour, then in the egg, and coat them with cornmeal.
- Heat ½" of oil in a large frying pan to 350°F. Slide the tomato slices in and fry for 4 minutes or until well browned. Turn and finish frying, about 3–4 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.