Southern Fried Oysters
These are so crunchy on the outside and succulent on the inside, you will probably have to make an extra batch. Fried oysters are best when served with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 quart shucked oysters
- ½ cup corn flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. dried parsley
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Place the oysters in a colander to drain.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, nutmeg, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Dip the oysters in the beaten egg and then in the flour-and-cornmeal mixture.
- Bring the oil in a pot to 375°F and fry oysters for about 3–4 minutes or until browned.
- Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels.