Southern-Style Pork Chops
To make this soul food dish healthier, bake the pork chops in a 375°F oven for 45 minutes.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 6 pork chops, cut 1 inch thick
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground mustard
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp. black pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. onion powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Rinse the pork chops and pat dry. Combine all of the dried spices together in a wide, shallow bowl. Place the flour in another wide, shallow bowl.
- Rub the seasoning mix into each piece. Dredge the pork chops in the flour and shake off the excess. Place chops on a wire rack for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Add the vegetable oil to a skillet and place over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering and hot, slide 2 pork chops into the skillet and cook on each side for 10 to 12 minutes. Place the cooked pork chops on paper towels and keep warm. Repeat with the other pork chops. Serve while warm.