Southwest Chicken and Rice Casserole
Creamy, cheesy casseroles are the heart and soul of comfort food. Try prepping this one over the weekend and baking it a day or two later!
Serves: 8Prep: 15 minutesCook: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups Kroger Brand Long Grain Rice
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 package (12 oz.) Kroger Brand Recipe Beginnings 3 Pepper & Onion Blend
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) Kroger Brand Diced Tomatoes with Jalapenos, drained
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- Heat oven to 400°F. Butter 9”x13” casserole dish; set aside.
- In 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and salt. Cook about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Stir in flour.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth and milk, avoiding lumps. Add rice; bring to boil. Cover; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes, until rice is just tender.
- Remove from heat. Stir in 1½ cups of cheese, pepper and onion blend, drained tomatoes and chicken. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining ½ cup cheese. Bake 20 to 22 minutes, until heated through and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers.