Southwest Chicken and Corn Chowder
Spice it up! Feel free to add jalapenos or more pepper to this soup depending on how hot you like it! For a smoother chowder, transfer the soup to a blender before adding chicken, puree, then quickly reheat before serving.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup butter
- 1 small sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat butter in a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté onions, garlic, and bell pepper until soft, about 4 minutes. Add flour and stir to combine.
- Pour in chicken broth and whisk until smooth, then add potatoes. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Use a potato masher to mash the softened potatoes. Add tomato purée, milk, cream, corn, chicken, thyme, bay leaves, cayenne salt, and pepper.
- Simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes. Serve immediately.