Southwest Green Chili Corn Muffins
These muffins feature the bold flavors of the Southwest! If you can take the heat, replace the green chiles with an equal amount of canned jalapeños.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup soymilk
- Egg replacement equal to 1 egg
- ½ cup puréed cream-style corn
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles, drained
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add soymilk, egg replacement, pureed corn, and green chiles. Stir to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients, stirring until just mixed.
- Pour batter into greased or paper-lined muffin tins until ⅔ full. Bake 15–20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the muffins and the tops are lightly browned.