Southwest Stuffed Chicken Breast Salad
Serve with a salsa or corn pico de gallo and you have a great, easy meal.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5 oz. each)
- 1 cup canned refried beans
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 medium ripe tomato, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tsp. grated lime zest
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 3 cups baby greens
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion 5 to 8 minutes until translucent. Transfer to a medium bowl and add beans, rice, onion powder, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper, cheese, tomato, and cilantro. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combined crushed tortilla chips and lime zest. Place egg in a shallow dish. Set aside.
- Cut a slit into the side of each of the four chicken breasts.
- Spoon prepared bean filling into the slit of each of the chicken breasts. Dip each stuffed chicken breast into the beaten egg, then coat with the crushed tortilla chip mixture and place on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle lime juice over each coated chicken breast.
- Bake chicken until juices run clear, about 30 minutes. Cool 5 minutes, then slice and serve over greens.