“Spaghetti” and Spicy Meatballs
When you taste this recipe, you won’t even miss regular pasta noodles. The zucchini has a mild flavor that serves as the perfect vehicle for the sauce and meatballs.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large zucchinis
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. black pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 lb. ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb. ground pork
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut zucchini into long strips using a vegetable slicer or a spiralizer. Set aside onto a paper towel and allow to sweat. Heat olive oil over medium-heat in a large skillet. Add onions and garlic and sauté until transparent, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Put egg, cheese, salt, black pepper, red pepper, beef, and pork in a large mixing bowl. Add onions and garlic and mix until evenly incorporated. Shape meat mixture into 16 meatballs. Place meatballs on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Put butter in a skillet and heat over medium heat. Add zucchini noodles and sauté, stirring frequently, until softened but still firm, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Divide zucchini up into 4 servings. Top each serving with 4 meatballs and 1⁄2 cup marinara sauce.