Spaghetti Squash Boats with Bacon and Mushrooms
Italian-inspired fare is on the menu tonight…and it’s a hearty take on some tasty ingredients.
Serves: 2Prep: 20 minutesCook: 55 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 3 lb.), halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup Private Selection™ Center Cut Bacon, diced or pancetta
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Private Selection™ Garlic & Pepper Seasoning, plus more for seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Scoop seeds from squash; discard. Put squash cut-side up in baking dish; fill with ½” water. Bake until flesh of squash is easily pierced with fork, 30–40 minutes. Pour off water.
- When cool enough to handle, use fork to scrape noodle-like flesh from squash into large bowl. Separate strands as much as you can. Reserve squash skins.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fat renders out, 5 minutes. Raise heat to medium-high. Add onion; cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and seasoning; cook until broken down and saucy, 5 minutes. Add to bowl with squash strands; toss. Season to taste with more seasoning, if you like. Divide between squash skins.
- Return stuffed squash to baking dish. Top with cheese and bake until cheese is browned and melted, 15 minutes. Sprinkle tops with basil and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.