Spaghetti Squash with Sausage and Peppers
Skipping traditional pasta on Italian night doesn’t mean skimping on satisfying flavor! Discover a lighter alternative that’s every bit as tasty, featuring a game-changing ingredient—spaghetti squash!
Serves: 4Prep: 20 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour
- 1 spaghetti squash (3 lbs.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 link from one package (18 oz.) Kroger® Mild Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup Italian cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and place the spaghetti squash cut side up on the prepared pan.
- Drizzle olive oil over the squash and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the skin is easily pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the squash is baking, brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and add ½ cup of water and cover. Cook 10-12 minutes, until fully cooked with an internal temperature of 160°F. Remove from skillet and cut sausage into slices.
- In a medium skillet, sauté the bell peppers until tender. Add the marinara sauce and sausage slices. Heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Gently scrape squash with a fork to remove the flesh and transfer into a large bowl. Add the sauce mixture and top with shredded cheese.
- Serve and refrigerate leftovers.